When it comes to digital marketing, it’s about being at the right place at the right time. You want to be able to “appear” in front of your target audience as the peak time when most of them are online. So when are the best times to post on social media? In this article, we will break down the best times of day and week to post on the four main social media platforms.
Before we begin, we wanted to personally share an article you might find extremely resourceful (90+ content marketing tips!). You can view the post here.
There isn’t a single definitive answer to the question of what time is the best time to post. However, there is data to help you post at the right time to get the most views possible. Some things to consider in order to determine the right time of day to post for you include the following:
- Who is your target audience?
- What time zone is your target audience in?
- Which social media platforms are they using?
- What do they want to see?
Once you can answer these questions, you’re ready to figure out the best times to post on social media.
Best Time To Post on Twitter
The half-life of a tweet is anywhere between 15 to 20 minutes according to Pagemodo. That means the value of your tweet drops by 50% within 15 to 20 minutes if it isn't seen by your target audience right away. So when is the best time to post on Twitter?
The general consensus from all the Twitter research is that users are the most active during their morning and evening commutes. This means that users are on Twitter while on their way to school or work. They also agree that Twitter is more active during lunch hours during the weekday. This can be justified by the fact that users are on the social media platform to remain occupied during their breaks. It’s also important to note that Twitter activity is higher on the weekend than on the weekday. Given this information, the best times to post on social media for Twitter are:
- Monday through Friday: 7-9am – This time frame is when most people commute to work/school.
- Monday through Friday: 4-6pm – Again, the time is a high commute time period.
- Monday through Friday: 11am-1pm – This is the standard time that most people take their lunch breaks and Twitter activity increases. It’s important to note that tweet volume peaks at 12pm.
- Saturday & Sunday: 10am–8pm– Since most people work Monday through Friday, the data backs up the fact that the weekend is a good time to post on Twitter. Interestingly enough, engagement for brands on Twitter is 17% higher on the weekend.
Best Time To Post On Facebook
Twitter and Facebook are two of the most popular social media platforms available. Similarly to Twitter, Facebook is highly active during the afternoon during the time that can be considered the "afternoon work slump." Data shows that users go on Facebook through either mobile or desktop versions. Neither one is more preferred, although mobile makes it more accessible for the user. Research suggests that the best time to post on Facebook is between the hours of 1pm and 4pm. As the saying goes “the less they want to be at work, the more they’re on Facebook!” Similarly, Facebook users are more likely to be active during the early morning commute. So the best times to post on social media for Facebook are:
- Monday through Friday: 7am – 9am – Like with Twitter, people like to check their social media on their commute to work/school.
- Monday through Friday: 1pm and 4pm – This is when the afternoon slump is the highest.
- Saturday and Sunday: 8am-8pm
Best Time To Post On Instagram
Instagram is a photo sharing social media platform. It’s intended to be used on mobile devices, although it can be used on desktops with limited capabilities. As such, the best time to post is during off-work hours, when users can freely use Instagram, or during lunch hours. TrackMaven found that Instagram engagement stays consistent through out the week. They also found that:
- Most popular time to post on Instagram is 2-3 pm (afternoon work slump)
- After 6pm – off-work hours
Best Time To Post On LinkedIn
LinkedIn is a social media platform used by many professionals. These users tend to log-on during working hours and interestingly during mid-week (Tuesday through Thursday). As such, the best time to post is typically during the lunchtime, or towards the end of the workday. The best times to post on Linked are:
- Tuesday through Thursday – from 12 pm to 5 pm
- Tuesdays at 10 am receives the most clicks according to Huffington Post
There is never a wrong time to post on social media, however there are certain parts of the day where your posts can be seen by a larger number of followers. Using these specific times as a guideline will help you to achieve your goals.
For more reading on social media for business, see the links below:
- How To Pick The Right Social Media For Business
- Quick Guide to Advertising on Social Media Platforms
- 5 Steps to Unlocking the Power of Influencer Marketing
- Instagram For Business: Five Lessons (I Learned) to Get More Followers